Saturday, February 26, 2011

Air Plant Terrariums


 My mama made me the coolest terrarium inside a glass flour jar for Christmas this year, which inspired me to try my own hand at terrarium-building. I am fascinated by the idea of a tiny self-contained world, with all of the parts needed for the system to function within its walls. I have always liked teeny-tiny things (in fact, I have a old pickle jar labeled "Tiny Things" which contains my collection of miniature books, shoes, skulls, horses, dinosaurs, baby bottles, farm trucks, gems, shells, etc., and from which I gathered a few of the needed supplies to make these terrariums shown below).

I found the glass globes at C2B, which is an arm of Crate and Barrel. They are designed to be hanging tea light holders. I may at some point decide to hang my terrariums in a little cluster in a corner somewhere, like an itty-bitty science-fiction wonderland.

If you decide to make your own terrarium, you'll need to decide whether to make a closed system (something with a lid, like my mama's flour jar), or an open system like the ones below. The type of plants, soil, and rocks you use will depend on which type of terrarium you make. In the flour jar, I never need to water--the water evaporates, condenses, and "rains" down on the plants, just like in our own water cycle. In these open systems, I mist the plants every few days.


 Materials: Glass globes, colored rocks (aquarium rocks would work), air plants, tiny things (I used a piece of driftwood, a plastic skull, a plastic dove, an old bingo ball, and chunks of amethyst).

Time to complete: 20 minutes

Directions: Put a layer of rocks on the bottom of your terrarium (if you are using plants other than air plants, you need to layer rocks, garden charcoal, and soil so that the water drains properly). Arrange the plants as you wish, and add tiny things to create whatever mood you are aiming for in your little world--in these, I was trying for a soothing, calm, desert feel.




2 comments:

  1. Nat, if anyone else in the world has a big glass jar with a label that says "Tiny Things," it's got to be you. Have fun terrarium-building!

    ReplyDelete