Sunday, April 10, 2011

Plum and Raspberry Upside-Down Cake


I have been, as my friend Amy says, Little Susie Homemaker this spring break. I have been crafting and baking my heart out--two activities that I love and enjoy, but often feel like I don't have time to do. I made this cake for a dinner with friends, and have made it several times before, always with great results. The recipe was ripped out from an old Martha Stewart magazine in a waiting room in Seattle somewhere. This time I actually baked it with frozen blueberries instead of fresh raspberries, since it is not raspberry season yet. Although it was very tasty, I am posting the original recipe since I think that tart raspberries are the perfect thing. This cake is extra-pretty and a real crowd-pleaser, especially at a summertime backyard picnic. Serve as is or a la mode.

I would like to say that leftover pieces also make a delicious breakfast. Ahem.


Plum and Raspberry Upside-Down Cake
Makes one cake

10 TBSP butter, room temp
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6-8 plums, halved and pitted
1/2 pint raspberries
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sour cream

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trace around a a 8-1/2 by 2-1/2-inch springform pan onto waxed paper and cut out the circle. Butter (or spray) the inside of the pan and line the bottom with the waxed paper circle.

2) Melt 2 TBSP of butter and pour into the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the melted butter. Arrange the plum halves cut-side-down on top of the brown sugar, squeezing in as many plums as possible. Fill in the gaps with raspberries (Really, the more fruit you can cram in here, the tastier it will be, so load 'er up!).

3) Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream the remaining 8 TBSP butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the egg yolks and beat well. Add half the flour mixture, then the sour cream, and then the rest of the flour mixture until everything is well combined.

4) Spoon the batter on top of the plums and raspberries, spreading with a small spatula--it will be thick. Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any juices and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, usually 50-60 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for about an hour. Run a knife along the edge of the cake to loosen it, then remove the ring.

5) Gather your courage, put a big serving plate on top of the cake, and quickly flip the whole thing over. Remove the bottom on the springform pan and the waxed paper circle, and gasp in awe at the lovely cake you made.

Serve slightly warm or at room temp.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment