Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

My philosophy on gardening, being the naive newbie that I am, is to put things in the dirt and see what happens. I suppose it will be more complicated than that once I actually figure out what I am doing, but until then, it is just one big dirty experiment.

My greens are flourishing. I have one tiny jalapeño pepper that has gone from a flower to a little nub to something that quite resembles, as I explained to Eric, a "real" jalapeño. There is one tomato, which may soon be happier now that I know I had the tomato cage on upside down (whatever; I am allergic to tomatoes anyway, so it's not like I was super-concerned for the welfare of the poisonous little buggers). I had one blueberry, but I watched a rabbit eat it the other day. My garden is home to potato bugs, yellow spiders, and worms. Apparently some of my kale "bolted," which means it grew some pretty yellow flowers. This is supposed to be a bad thing because it makes the greens taste bitter, but they tasted just groovy to me.

On the menu tonight: Garden salad, with grilled chicken, grilled corn, green-leaf lettuce, spicy oriental greens, kale, cucumber, green onions, and kalamata olives; drizzled with homemade honey-mustard dressing and with garlic bread on the side. It just doesn't get any better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment