Sunday, March 4, 2012

Yellow Tree

The tree outside of our kitchen window is beginning to bloom again.


I don't know what kind of a tree it is, but its annual spring blooming is a sight to behold--this will be the second time I have seen it go from a scraggly, twiggy, arthritic bush to a lush, lemon-yellow pouf in a mere matter of days. The blossoms disappear almost as quickly as they arrive, and then it transforms to a rather ordinary-looking green-leaved bush. This tree was a great source of delight to me last spring, since its yellow blossoms were an unexpected treat. I think that there may be nothing better in the world than looking outside your kitchen window and seeing a little tree dripping in blossoms and covered in about a million tiny twittering birds, excited as myself about this sudden reminder of spring. It's like a promise, that although there may be an occasional snowflake falling, and the sky may threaten to rain just about every day; spring, and its jubilant little sister, summer, will come again soon.

Living in the Northwest, it's easy to get into the routine of dark mornings, dark afternoons, and rain, rain, rain...we adapt, and life goes on. But then...a little yellow tree bursts into life and I remember sun, and sunsets, and long days, and hiking, and riding my bike, and the fire pit and picnic table in the backyard. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Your twiggy, arthritic tree is a forsythia and they are one of my favorites because they are that beautiful, bright yellow that reminds me of the sunshine to come...I hope!

    ReplyDelete