Monday, December 13, 2010

Chevre Grape Truffles

I made these little appetizers for our Christmas party last night. Since I couldn't find the best appetizer cookbook in the world (probably in the black hole that is doubling as the guest room closet), I went poking around on allrecipes.com and found this recipe. I upped the amounts just a bit because I ran out of both the cheese mixture and the nut mixture in the middle of making these. They turned out well--an interesting combination of flavors, fun to eat, and so lovely arranged on a serving plate. You definitely need to be a goat-cheese fan to fall in love with these.

Daphne gave them a thumbs-up; Becca said no thank you! I will let you decide for yourself.


Almond-Crusted Chevre Grape Truffles
Makes 25-30 bite-size servings

5 ounces chevre
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 TBSP sweet port wine (plus more to drink while you are cooking)
salt and pepper to taste
25-30 grapes
3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and finely chopped
1/2 cup chives, finely chopped

1) Mix the chevre and cream cheese in a bowl, using a fork. Add the port wine and salt and pepper, and mix until smooth. Chill for 30 minutes.

2) Scoop 1 TBSP of the cheese mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press a single grape into the mixture. Using the plastic wrap, cover the grape with cheese until it becomes a little ball with the grape inside. Remove the plastic wrap and continue making the rest of the truffles.

3) Spread the toasted and finely chopped almonds onto a plate. Combine the chopped chives with the almonds. Roll each truffle ball in the almond-chive mixture until it's coated.

4) Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, they look so good. You'll have to make them for me some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I will. They are fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete