Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Day Daze

I got sunburned today.

For the record, there's a foot of snow on the ground. The high temperature today was 19 degrees. It was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a sunny day. I was outside for a long time today, trying to stave off the impending cabin fever that I could feel looming as we greeted snow day number four, but come on. I just went for a walk.

Before I realized that I was sunburned, I was mostly enjoying myself--I created a face burka out of my fleece leopard-print scarf and headed out into the wide, wide, world; a free spirit, house-bound no more. I found cute blue nail polish at the Rite Aid where I stopped because I thought for a moment that I actually might be getting frostbite. I ate some delicious vegan mashed potatoes at the Food Co-op, where, for once, the hipster at the register didn't look on me with utter disdain when I told him that no, I am not a member (I can't afford free-range organic gluten-free vegetarian-fed omega-3-flaxseed eggs for $19 a dozen). I found a super-cute cardigan at the Buffalo Exchange, and the total was exactly the amount I had in my wallet. I even found a tiny plastic dinosaur on the sidewalk, peeking out of the snow, and I happen to collect tiny things. It seemed like the day was quite in my favor.

Then I got home and looked in the mirror. As I write this, I am sitting on my couch letting the aloe vera that I have rubbed all over my face sink in. I am reminding myself of three important things that I must have forgotten in my snow day daze today: 1) Enjoy the moment. It will soon end. 2) Everything at Buffalo Exchange has a hole, stain, or rip somewhere. Or pit stains. Or a loose button. That is why the cardi cost $9.17, not because the used clothing store gods knew that it was exactly the amount I had in my wallet. 3) Wear sunscreen every day.

I wonder if we will have another snow day tomorrow. I guess I'd better get my sun hat ready just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment