Friday, July 30, 2010

Old-Fashioned Potato Salad


We went over to my friend Katie's house to celebrate her birthday yesterday. I brought this down-home potato salad in honor of Katie's Midwestern roots. My mama got the recipe from her mama, and I changed it just a bit to give it a little kick. Enjoy!

Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
Serves many!

10 potatoes (I like Yukon Gold)
10 eggs
1 cup of mayo
1/4 cup mustard
handful of chopped green onion
2 big dill pickles, chopped into very small chunks
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
salt and pepper

1) Chop the potatoes into medium sized chunks (I like to leave the skins on for a country picnic sort of feeling). Boil them for 8-10 minutes, until they are soft but not mushy. Drain in a colander.

2) Boil the eggs in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander.

3) Chill both the potatoes and the eggs until cold.

4) Put the potatoes in a large bowl. Peel the eggs and chop them up into small chunks; add to the bowl.

5) Add the mayo, mustard, green onion, pickles, and spices to taste. You can add a little splash of cider vinegar if the cayenne doesn't give it enough of a kick for you, or omit the cayenne completely if you don't like it spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment