We received the keys to the new house on the Friday before Halloween weekend. I was going to meet my mom at the empty house after school to get it cleaned and ready to move into the following day. I had a hard time rounding up muscles to help us with the move, with it being a busy weekend for lots of my friends, and had a knot in my stomach all day at the thought of moving.
When I pulled up at the house (still wearing the tutu I had worn to school for my pretty-pretty ballerina costume), Eric was sitting on the front step with two mugs and a bottle of bubbly wine. Good man.
We toasted, marveling at our new space, and then he told me he had to carry me over the threshold so we could do the tradition properly. He made me close my eyes (all the better for what was coming next) and he carried me in, spinning me around as we went. Just when I was really feeling dizzy, overcome by the bubbles in the wine and the fact that I was wearing a tutu while being spun around by a hunky man in our new house, he dropped me.
As I was flying through the air, eyes still closed, I thought how strange it was that he would drop me on the floor. Had his arms given out? Was he doing one of those "jokes" that he finds hilarious and I rarely do? Was he mad at me?
The funny thing was, in stead of hitting the floor, I bounced on something soft. I sat up in wonder, and gazed around at all of our belongings: boxes, dining table, big green comfy chair, lamps, books, dishes, and everything else all around me. Eric had secretly rented a U-Haul and had moved our ENTIRE APARTMENT to the new house while I was at school.
I could not believe my eyes. How on earth did he do it? I still don't know. All I know is that I married a wonderful man.
We drove over to the apartment in the U-Haul to pick up the mattress and the cat, and thus our move-in was very nearly complete. We camped out on the floor of the guest room for the first two nights, with Buddy alternating between exploring his new space (he no longer walks anywhere, he trots) and checking to see if we were still there. With the sound of the forced-air heat kicking in and my husband's arms around me, I knew that I had everything I needed at that moment.
We have no blinds, the dishwasher isn't working, the bathroom sink is leaking, and it took us three days to find our mailbox, but it's ours. Home sweet home!
I am so glad your blog is back up. I missed it a lot!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you and I love your description of youtaking flight. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteLove nat and aj
Really, everything is better if done while wearing a tutu, so why not flying too?
ReplyDelete