Friday, November 19, 2010

No-Leg Nola


Leave it to me to go looking for moving boxes and ending up with a three-legged cat. Both items were listed in the "free" section of Craigslist, so how was I to know that amongst the broken stand-alone freezers, random car parts, and threadbare furniture, there would also be a sweet little kitty looking for a good home? Her name is Nola, and she is a one-year-old, three-legged, half-tailed wonder. She does all the things that a regular kitty does, from running all around at night when we are trying to sleep, to making the delicate leap from floor to windowsill, to knocking over houseplants (about an hour ago, much to Buddy's delight).

Her story? I'm not really sure, other than she was hit by a car when she was a baby and had to have a hind leg and half of her tail amputated. She was apparently ditched by the roommate of the eighteen-year-old raver-chicks (yes, they still have those) who posted her on Craigslist, but other than that, I think her story begins now. Nola and Buddy are learning to tolerate each other, and although I don't expect to see them snuggling in a blanket anytime soon, I did wake up to find Nola sleeping on the couch and Buddy sleeping on the big green comfy chair nearby, so at least they are to the point that they can relax and have a nap in the same general area.

It hasn't been an easy road, and it wasn't helped by yours truly, kitty naivette, assuming that I could just open Nola's box and they would be instant pals--in my mind, they would be sharing their Fancy Feast, catnip, and love of birdfeeder-watching in seconds flat. Sigh. At least I get to make Nola a tiny peg leg and dress her up like a pirate for Halloween, which is some consolation for the general kitty mayhem that has ensued since her arrival.

2 comments: